Warning and welcome!

Warning! This is NOT your little sisters blog! If you're looking for the latest review of the Anthropologie catalogue, or a linky party or even an instagram photo you are in the wrong place. What I've got is the popcorn-for-dinner, teenage-daughter-as-a-different-species, homeschooling, hospicing kind of life and that's exactly what I intend to write about. So sit down on a sticky chair, pull up a cup of tea that you've rewarmed in the microwave 3 times and have a laugh at the Further Adventures of Cassie Canuck; homeschool edition.



Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I was going to write about procrastination but I'll do it tommorrow

"Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday."
Don Marquis quotes (American Writer, ColumnistAmerican Writer, Columnist
 
"Procrastination is one of the most common and deadliest of diseases and its toll on success and happiness is heavy."
Wayne Gretzky quotes
 
"Procrastination avoids boredom; one never has the feeling that there is nothing important to do"
 
"Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now"
Larry Kersten quotes
"Procrastination is, hands down, our favorite form of self-sabotage."
Alyce P. Cornyn-Selby
 
For the most part I am NOT a procrastinator. I'm a "do it, do it now!" type of person. Especially when it comes to my demands of others (isn't that right Daddy, Huggyband and Little Miss Teen?) However, I do occasionally leave stuff until I get around-to-it. Seems like "around-to-it" is the cousin of procrastination, not a refusal to do it but in the same spirit of doing it later. Or, as my new favorite excuse goes, I just wasn't in the mood to do it. Sigh.................. yes maybe I do use my moods as an excuse but........... Anyways........................

Sometimes there are good reasons why something isn't done right away. Reasons like: I needed the right equipment to do it; as in why have shortbread cookies been on my to do list for a month? Because I don't have unsalted butter and until the other day I didn't know that I could get it at the cheap grocery store. Why don't half of my kids toys have batteries? The official line is because I don't have batteries. The unofficial reason is that because they are too annoying with batteries. Besides, playing with an unplugged toy encourages creativity and imagination right?

For me it's a time factor thing. I'm a big picture thinker, there are no short term lists or goals just big stuff. Want to know what we're doing a month from now? Just ask me! (We pause now to hear the sound of Gods uproarious laughter.) What are we having for lunch today? Hmmmmmm........ (Not really because I've had it planned for a week but you get the idea.) To me there are no small tasks to be done by themselves there are only small tasks that tie into larger tasks that I really don't have time for. It's really about efficiency and lumping group chores together. I swear that the G family motto is "While you're there/up doing X you may as well do Y or the effort will be wasted." For example I can't just take the pile of outgrown clothes to the basement. I COULD take them to the basement but then I would have to put them away properly which would involve putting them in brown paper bags which would involve finding the bags and a marker to label the bags. Then I would have to put all the other clothes that I have just laying on top of the piles away, sorting them by size and folding them neatly. Then I would have to re stack the bags. Suddenly a 30 second trip to the basement to put away a few old sweatshirts becomes an hour long process involving sorting out 40 outgrown sweatshirts. And who has time for that?
 
Little Miss Teen, who right now is procrastinating about cleaning the guck out from under the sink, says that her reason is because it's too "eewy." I agree (that's why I'm making HER do it not me). Sometimes stuff doesn't get done because of the sheer grossness involved. Stuff like cleaning bathrooms, picking up dog poop and the occasional diaper fall into this category.

Prime example of this is a W family legendary story involving a turkey leg. My Huggybands late wife died in late July one year. We were married in late November (yes of the same year) but due to a colossal immigration mix up I wasn't able to live with him until late January. I arrived at his house on a Sunday night and since my arrival was very unplanned he had to work the next day. Leaving me in a strange house in a strange city by myself. I opened the fridge to find something to eat and discovered "the dish." "The dish" was a glass casserole dish containing the unidentifiable remains of some type of meat? I wasn't sure what it was but I was sure that it had been in there for a looooooooong time. I tried to guess at how long it had been in there. Christmas? Nooooooooo looked older than that, probably older than Thanksgiving too. I had no clue. But I did manage to throw it out and set the dish in the sink to soak for a very, very long time. Can you tell I was a newlywed? Because now I wouldn't have bothered with cleaning the dish, I would have just thrown the whole thing out corning ware and all. When my Huggyband got home and I confronted him with the fossilized food story and my questions of how long it had been in there he told me that in his defense he hadn't seen it waaaaaaaay in the back of the fridge. He also told me that I was right, it hadn't been left over from Christmas or Thanksgiving. It was left over funeral food. As in one of the ladies from church had brought it over after the funeral of his wife in JULY. Ick!

So yesterday I was in a "round-to-it" mood. I felt like conquering some of the chores that I'd been meaning to do for a long time. Yes, I do know that in doing the backlog chores I was avoiding the current chores but sometimes catching up on stuff makes me feel better. I'm not at all obsessive compulsive, but sometime bringing calm to the outside stuff brings calm to my inside stuff. So I went upstairs to the boys room and grabbed their fan. You know, the fan that's been there since summer? The fan that should have been put away in oooooooooh say September? The fan that at this point may as well stay there until THIS summer? It's one of those things that I had been meaning to do. They play with it even in the middle of winter. Playing with it involves using electricity and taking the fan away so they can't use electricity is my way of making myself feel better about the astronomical electric bill we got last month (because turning off lights is too difficult?) While I was taking the fan out to the garage I grabbed the bag of water guns (bought on clearance for $1 and given to my kids as Christmas presents) from the top of the closet (because even when not filled with water they are outdoor toys) and then downstairs to the basement to grab the sidewalk chalk (another outdoor Christmas present bought on clearance) and a couple of cars that I figure can be used outdoors in the sandbox I've yet to buy but am planning on. All of which I have been tripping over for months.

I've also been tripping over the Christmas tree (it's in the box but hasn't been put downstairs yet!). And you know................I'll do it.......... When I get around to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment