Warning and welcome!

Warning! This is NOT your little sisters blog! If you're looking for the latest review of the Anthropologie catalogue, or a linky party or even an instagram photo you are in the wrong place. What I've got is the popcorn-for-dinner, teenage-daughter-as-a-different-species, homeschooling, hospicing kind of life and that's exactly what I intend to write about. So sit down on a sticky chair, pull up a cup of tea that you've rewarmed in the microwave 3 times and have a laugh at the Further Adventures of Cassie Canuck; homeschool edition.



Thursday, February 18, 2010

Baaaaaaaaah (part 1)

Today's blog is a promise to "get back to it" which sounds like a cop out to me but it actually means that I'm in the process of forming thoughts.

Little Miss Teen suggested that I write about "black sheepism." Sigh...................... Heavy sigh again.....................
 
In the English language, Black sheep is an idiom used to describe an odd or disreputable member of a group, especially within one's family. The term has typically been given negative implications. The idiom is also found in other languages, e.g., Serbian, Bulgarian, Portuguese, Turkish, Dutch, Spanish, Czech and Polish. (To me the fact that it's an idiom in other languages shows how common of a situation it is.)

Black sheepism is a hot topic in our house right now. Actually I think it's better said that it's an undercurrent in our house right now.
 
We were kicked out of a church. Officially we were "encouraged to move on" yeah same dif........ They used scripture in Matthew about God and Shepard's separating the sheep from the goats as justification. How we got to be goats I still have NO idea. So Little Miss Teen argues that we aren't goats just black sheep. Either way we seem to be labeled as disreputable. Worthy of being rejected and shunned.

I want her to know that it's ok to be the black sheep. And here is where I'll take a few days to explore my own feelings on the topic. I want her to know that I would rather her be a black sheep for the right reasons than to be a white sheep. I want her to know that it's ok not to conform. Conformity is overrated.

At 13 she's interested in rebellion. Not actually rebelling herself (I hope not!) but at the thought of rebelling against something. Protesting something excites her. There is a HUGE teachable moment here and I want to do it right. I have an amazing opportunity to shape her values and I want to be careful how I do it. I want to raise a leader. I want her to rebel for the right reasons and to stand up for injustice.

I'll go out on a limb here and be real candid and say that I'm kind of disappointed and hurt that the people in my church didn't stand up for us. As far as we know nobody went to the pastors and told them that what they did to us was wrong. I'd like to think that if I witnessed a situation like that I would, and I sure hope that I raise kids who will. Kids who will do the right thing no matter what the cost. Kids who will overcome fear and apathy.

So in the next few days I'll dig a little bit in myself, research, pray and see what I really believe about non-conformity and the trouble with sheep. I'll just write until I know. Stay tuned.............

1 comment:

  1. They actually used that scripture to justify kicking you out???? Good thing you're not there anymore. If their theology is that screwed on that one verse, I'd hate to see what they say about the rest of the Bible. Grrr....

    I fully agree with you re. conformity. I could go into a whole long diatribe about it, but I won't hijack your comments. :)

    ReplyDelete