Warning and welcome!

Warning! This is NOT your little sisters blog! If you're looking for the latest review of the Anthropologie catalogue, or a linky party or even an instagram photo you are in the wrong place. What I've got is the popcorn-for-dinner, teenage-daughter-as-a-different-species, homeschooling, hospicing kind of life and that's exactly what I intend to write about. So sit down on a sticky chair, pull up a cup of tea that you've rewarmed in the microwave 3 times and have a laugh at the Further Adventures of Cassie Canuck; homeschool edition.



Wednesday, November 9, 2011

When more is more

I want to start with something a friend of mine said yesterday about how hard it is to find ways for teenagers to give and I whole heatedly agree.   We kind of ran into the problem of meaning full volunteer work with the youth group.  They like the idea of a service opportunity at a group home for special needs kids that the church supports.  Problem is that there aren't that many opportunities for them to interact with the residents there.  Lots to be done but but not that much with the people.  It seems that I've ran into the same problem with hospice and teen moms.  Maybe it's because of the specialized level of care that patients/residents need, or maybe it's because of all the rules that I'm sure are put into place for their or our protection but there isn't a lot for unskilled workers to do.  I understand that there are no small parts only small players and that pulling weeds and stuffing envelopes are important jobs but I think that people sign up with these organizations because they're looking for face time, personal contact with a specific group of people. 

But I digress as always.  My kids have a bad case of the "gimmes" or more accurately the "iwantthats."  Typical, normal I'm sure. To them Christmas isn't about what you give it's about what you get. I'd like to change that.  Wouldn't we all?   Like all parents I want my kids to understand the true meaning of Christmas and not just the Mary and Joseph and baby Jesus version either.  These are pastors kids, Sunday school scholars who at age 4 ask "how old is God?"  They've got the story down.  But as with most things in church, I don't think they understand the "so what" of it.  That baby in the manger wants us to love one another.  THAT'S what Christmas is about. Can I tell that to the 5 billion toy commercials they've seen before Halloween alone?  No.  Christmas to my kids is about "MORE".  And therein lies the conflict.   As I try to align my own actions with my values the words "less" and "simplify" become more and more important (says I as I clutch my ipad).  It's not only that we need less stuff because we really DO need less stuff, but we also need to desire less.  Be content with what we have and therefore more peaceful.  My kids are pretty much sure that what will bring them contentment and peace is a new gaming system.  Join me in the next few days as I work through that.  Or should I say join me in the next 10 years..........? 

No comments:

Post a Comment