Warning and welcome!

Warning! This is NOT your little sisters blog! If you're looking for the latest review of the Anthropologie catalogue, or a linky party or even an instagram photo you are in the wrong place. What I've got is the popcorn-for-dinner, teenage-daughter-as-a-different-species, homeschooling, hospicing kind of life and that's exactly what I intend to write about. So sit down on a sticky chair, pull up a cup of tea that you've rewarmed in the microwave 3 times and have a laugh at the Further Adventures of Cassie Canuck; homeschool edition.



Thursday, November 3, 2011

Presenting: NINJA ELF

So the story goes that you get this elf who flies back to the North Pole every night to report to Santa on your behavior that day.  A little bit of further research shows that in some houses the elf does more than just sit on a shelf and watch you.  I'll get to that part probably tomorrow.  But I got to thinking about elves.  Like I said some of my best friends have been elves.  Elves are traditionally red and green.  I like tradition.  I know how important it is.  But what I REALLY like is non traditional traditions.  In my moms family the traditional Christmas Eve dinner was hot dogs.  Seems that my mom and her sister were hairdressers and didn't close up shop until late on Christmas Eve.  Much too late for a traditional dinner; so the new tradition of hot dogs began.  It also seems to me that the year hot dogs weren't served chaos erupted.  But I'm also a big believer, delighter in fact of all things mixed up.  Twisted fairy tales?  I'm good with that.  In my opinion you can do anything you want to Shakespeare; from DiCaprio's version to gnomes; it's all good to me.  When I was a teenager I told my mom that someone should do a modern retelling of the nativity story.  Have Joseph and Mary arrive at a Motel 6 in a broken down Volkswagen bus.  My mom thought that it was blasphemous.  Last year when a  pastor tried to shorten advent by a week my husband almost revolted.  But other than that I'm good with switching around characters, settings and time lines.  So yes, elves are cute.  Elves go with Christmas.  But my boys REALLY like ninjas (or "injas" as N calls them.)  My friend Staci's daughters also love ninjas (and the fact that they do makes them the coolest girls on earth.)  So I found a picture of a Darth Vader fairy princess on line.  She had a pink tutu, pink chest shield, black Darth Vader helmet, pink tiara and pink light sabre.  And that REALLY got me to thinking..........  If Darth Vader can go pink, can elves go high tech?  Could there be special op ninja elves at the North Pole who are Santa's secret spies?  Sent TO  only the most special of kids to hand out secret missions?  Ooooooooooh you bet there could be!  Like I said, I'll tell you later exactly what the ninja elves are going to do.  For now though I'm working on a ninja elf profile.  Trying to figure out how to blend the two myths (or are they myths?)  Need to think a bit more.  Also think how to craft one.  Right now I've got my eye on a bottle of Country Time Lemonade that nobody is going to use anyways.  Do ninja elves wear red fuzzy sweaters?  Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. It's my belief that ninja elves wear whatever they need to blend in - even fuzzy sweaters. I sure I saw one on one of my mini light strings disguised as a light.

    ReplyDelete