Warning and welcome!

Warning! This is NOT your little sisters blog! If you're looking for the latest review of the Anthropologie catalogue, or a linky party or even an instagram photo you are in the wrong place. What I've got is the popcorn-for-dinner, teenage-daughter-as-a-different-species, homeschooling, hospicing kind of life and that's exactly what I intend to write about. So sit down on a sticky chair, pull up a cup of tea that you've rewarmed in the microwave 3 times and have a laugh at the Further Adventures of Cassie Canuck; homeschool edition.



Wednesday, November 2, 2011

So about the elf............

So about the elf...........  Google "elf on the shelf."  What you'll find is a new tradition.  Based on a 2005 book by Carol Aeberold and Chanda Bell  that answers the question of how does Santa know if you've been bad or good?  We know from songs that he sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake...  But HOW does he know?   I dunno what I thought when I was a kid.  Not knowing was part of the magic.  And being threatened that Santa was watching and that I'd better be good for goodness sake was a very real, very effective threat.   In my house it's only a few days after Halloween and I'm already wondering if it's too early to start that threats.   It turns out that Santa knows how you're behaving because his elves tell him.  Some elves are his secret spies (that's where my ninja idea comes from and I'll get to that in a few days.)   Your elf on a shelf who you adopt and get to name  comes to live in your house right after American Thanksgiving (which to Canadians would seem like some random day.  Otherwise known as "the day after the parade day."  Or "the day the Americans get the good shopping deals and we have to wait until Boxing Day for them and that doesn't seem fair."  If you're an American reading this go Google Boxing Day)   to see if you've been bad or good.  Then he flies  back to the North Pole each night and reports to Santa.  I haven't read the $25.00 book myself, (now available as a girl and with a video)  but from the 86,000,000 entries on the internet that's what I gather.  I like elfs.  I used to be their boss.  Some of you may remember that back in the day I worked as the set supervisor for the Santa set at the local mall.  I was Mrs. Claus and I used to be in charge of hiring elves.  It turns out that good elves are hard to find.  Much bettter to audition them than to interview them.  So I guess I'm into elves.  Or if not "into" then at least I have an appreciation for elves.  How many right minded moms can say that??????????

No comments:

Post a Comment